Tuesday, November 11, 2008

What I've learned in the last six months

I'm stuck here in Elk Grove, not able to go to work thanks to a case of pink eye, so I thought I would jot down some thoughts about what I've learned over the past six months. I've been through a lot, as most of you know, but I have had the opportunity to learn a ton about myself, my family, and my faith. Here goes...

1. Leaning on God is a lot easier to talk about than to accomplish. I always thought I had a strong faith, and that God was at the center of my life. I'm finding that wasn't always the case, as I leaned on my own ability to be in control of my emotions and circumstances. I've had to lean on Jesus to make it recently, and it's been a rewarding experience.

2. Don't take for granted the love of another person. This is tough to write about, but I've learned just how fragile human relationships can be. There are no guarantees about tomorrow, and each day with those who care about you is precious. Too often I just assumed that everyone would be there, and I didn't take enough time to foster those relationships. LOVE your spouse! Just saying you love them every day isn't enough! SHOW it! I look forward with anticipation for God to give me a second chance at that, but with an understanding that it must come at His time, not mine.

3. Support from family and friends is MUCH more important to my relationship to God than I thought. I've always been a pretty introverted, even introspective, person. I didn't find too much of a need for a group of friends to help shape my life. Now, having felt truly alone for awhile, I have learned how important it is to have a great Christian family around me. I need it to be a good follower of Christ. I need it to be a good dad. I will need it to be a good husband in the future. I can't be everything for anybody, and no person can be everything for me.

4. Only God can fill the hole in someone's life. This sounds intuitive, but the reality of what that means is much more profound than the prose that represents it. As I said above, I can't be everything for anybody, and life is a constant battle to allow God to handle that which we cannot. I believed that I could exert my will and pray hard, and others would understand God's purpose for their life. That is not the case. God's sovereignty is absolute, and He will do things in his own time, and in His own way. I cannot act as God in any part of my life. All I can do is pray that God uses me for His purposes, regardless of what they are.

5. God places people in our lives for a specific purpose, and He allows us to go through things in order to accomplish those purposes. I'm not sure what God's purpose for my current situation is, but I'm confident that someday I will know, and I will be able to praise Him for it. I know this because of the people I have met this year, and how they have had the opportunity to be used by God because of their own past situations. To those who have encouraged and guided me through life recently, I say thank you for allowing God to work through you. It is appreciated more than you know!

6. The biggest ministry in my life will be the way I present Christ to my son. Devon means the world to me, and he is beginning to reach the age where he will be curious about heavenly things. I am excited about that. I still remember many of the conversations I had with my dad about faith, and though I certainly didn't make it easy on him, those conversations helped shape my understanding of the faith I hold. We may not agree on every issue, but we understand the importance of seeking Truth. I look forward to that process of discovery with Devon. He is a really thoughtful kid, and it will be amazing to watch God work in him.

I guess that's it. Thanks for listening!

5 comments:

Unknown said...

All true, and it applies to so many situations in life, in my life. Some things we learn are really tough and we may not ever know the reasons for it during our lifetime. Choosing faith is hard work sometimes, but the reward is great. As I keep telling you, Refiner's fire, you're being shaped.

Jenn said...

Thanks Josh for this post. As your mom said: Rings true in so many situations in my life too. Rmeinders are always great to hear.

Joel and Leslie said...

Josh, I've read this post about 3 times, trying to think of the "perfect" comment back, but really, I just want to say thank you. Thank you for the reminders, thanks for sharing your heart, and thank you for letting us be a part of yours and Devon's lives.
Leslie

Wyatt & Weston's Mommy said...

Josh please know that you are family and we love you as a brother and always will! You have been through some really rough days but belive me when I say that soon you will start having more good days than bad ones, and then more awesome days than just good days. Just keep praying for peace and remind yourself this is part of God's paln for you.
Tricia

Littau family said...

Josh, you should blog more and often :) - Mike